Wood floor stripping is the process of removing the old wax finish on the top of hardwood floors and preparing the surface for the application of fresh new coats of product. Floor stripping of the old wax layer is needed when this top layer gets worn and damaged, dull and scratched, it begins to build up at some areas of the floor, its tint starts changing or fading, and when its protective and preservation power get weaker and weaker due to everyday use and high traffic. We have extensive experience in Greater London with all sorts of wood flooring services, wood floor stripping included. Being floor stripping experienced professionals, we believe that this process is very easy and very time-saving. However, floor stripping is definitely not recommended as a DIY project and you better leave it in the reliable hands of knowledgeable floor stripping specialists. Despite the fact that floor stripping products are not what they used to be and nowadays there are safer to use, however, floor stripping is not your typical DIY project and it needs to be done by professionals because floor stripping products are powerful and have to be handled and used with enough knowledge.
What is Wood Floor Stripping?
Whenever you contact Flooring Services London customer service team via e-mail or phone, you can always request additional information about the process of floor stripping and also book a free initial inspection of your hardwood floor in the London area. You would like our floor stripping experts to access the condition of your floor and in case that the floor stripping treatment is recommended, they will advise you on the proper preparation for floor stripping and the right floor stripping products, depending on wood species and the original wax finish. Floor stripping products are pretty powerful solvents and applying them needs extra caution and some level of experience, which can be offered only by a floor stripping specialist. It is a common case even for experienced industrial cleaning workers to make mistakes during the floor stripping procedure. We always follow London’s high standards and provide excellent job at wood floor stripping.
Common Floor Stripping Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Now let’s share some common mistakes and risks of floor stripping, which can be avoided and how to prevent them.
- Knowing the kind of wood species of your floor is really important because floor stripping products are pretty powerful and intense and may damage some kinds of bare wood if not used accurately.
- Applying big amounts of wood floor stripping products at once is not the right way to perform wood floor stripping. You would like to work in small portions for an even application. Also, working on big areas makes it harder to focus on details. If there are deeper scratches and gaps between the floorboards, the floor stripping solvent can penetrate into them and cause serious damages or react with the wood floor adhesive.
- Not removing the remaining solvent after the floor stripping process. Now, there are many floor stripping products on the London market today that don't need to be removed afterward. We like to be extra cautious and remove the remaining product once it has done its job of removing the old wax finish.
- Using previously used equipment, mop, and bucket. Even if your mop looks extra clean, if it is used at least once, it has already collected fine dust. Dust and dirt will impact the whole process and scratch bare wood, which is already treated with an aggressive product and pretty sensitive. And this leads us to the next mistake.
- Not cleaning your floor before and in between the stages of the wood floor stripping. You need a perfectly clean floor, especially between the application of stripping solvent since there will be residue left from the stripping off the wax layer.